Typically I don’t like resolutions. It’s really tough to do something life altering until you’re 100% convinced and ready to begin. Setting an arbitrary date such as “first of the year” or “next monday” just gives you another reason to procrastinate. So, instead of resolutions, this year we’re posting guidelines, and we think you should too.
Guidelines steer and evolve. They grow or shrink depending things you learn, and they cover more ground than a specific “quit x” or “stop y.” Resolutions are specific, resolute and final – you achieve them once and you’re done. 2011 will likely be a transitional year for many of us, so it only makes sense that we leave a little wiggle room to grow, and setting guidelines instead of resolutions does just that.
So, here are the guidelines we’ll follow in 2011 and beyond. There are no dates because some we’ve started and most we can’t really “complete.” There are no set goals because we’ll be adding to them as we go.
- Reasons to to pare down – Six reasons to let it go
- Why having too much stuff is bad – The Story of Stuff
- Living with 100 things – The 100 thing challenge (Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Living with 50 things –
- Choose your essentials – 10 essential things
- Make a passive income online – Smart Passive Income
- Use money smarter – Earlyretirementextreme.com, Iwillteachyoutoberich.com
Maximize Hours of the Day:
- Become an early riser – Never Let the Sun Catch You Sleeping.
- Make a better cup of coffee – Brewing the perfect cup of coffee
- Do more with less time – The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
- Explore hobbies – Learn to sew, Improve web skills, Update Weaselmouth more often!
- Camp more – Find a great campsite, Find an RV park
- Join a camping club – Goodsam.com, Escapees.com, 1000trails.com
Be More Green:
- Use better products – Goodguide.com
- Stay informed – Treehugger.com
- Find a local recycling center – 1-800-recycling.com
Write Better and More Often:
- Better writing for the web – Copyblogger.com
- Remove destractions – Writeroom for Mac and Iphone
- Find writing zen – How to Put Yourself into an Effortless Writing Zone, Show Up and Write, Nurture Your Creativity
That’s all for now. Since they’re guidelines and NOT resolutions, we’ll be expanding and altering as we go, especially once we move into the Airstream fulltime.
How about you? What are your 2011 Guidelines?